DAILY REAL ESTATE NEWS | WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 04, 2015
The wrong paint color can be a big turn-off to potential home buyers. House Beautiful recently highlighted some of the worst mistakes home owners can make when it comes to painting their house, including:
1. Painting a ceiling a flat white color."I never paint a ceiling dead white because all white paint has a bit of gray in it, and it takes the room down," designer Athalie Derse told House Beautiful. Instead, she suggests choosing a cream shade.
2. Too many colors from room to room.Some home owners may opt for a different color scheme for each room. "Even when I don't use the same colors everywhere, I still like the rooms to feel connected," designer Mona Ross Berman says. "The bedroom should never feel like it's in a completely different house than the living room. The whole house has to make sense as one."
3. Using the same color palette for the entire house.On the flip side, home owners who only stick to one color palette may be making the home too bland. "A two-color scheme can be great, but there has to be some relief, or it comes across as too pat and makes everything seem stiff," says designer Tom Scheerer.
4. Matching too much."You never want to match your walls to a color in one of your fabrics," designer Sallie Giordano says. "It will be too strong. Find a grayed-out version of the color."
5. Use neutrals to balance out color.Some home owners may be tempted to go overboard with one color. "The biggest mistake people make when they're trying to be colorful and exciting is to forget that you need to balance it with neutrals," says designer Todd Klein. He adds that architectural elements in white or even a few gray throws can give visitors' eyes a place to rest.
Realty Executives International - Where The Experts Are! Our Executives are experts in selling Tuscaloosa, Northport, the University of Alabama and West Alabama. Whether you need a cottage or a castle, call on us! With over 25 years of experience in the local market, our business is built on our reputation: We sell homes faster, and for a higher Percent of listed price than the average for our area. Find out why!
"“My wife and I were looking at putting our house up for sale last year and moving to another home closer to
our work. We had our house listed with two different Realtors, both signing 6 month contracts with each
realtor. We had multiple showings over that time but no offers for our house. We lowered the price multiple
times with the hopes of finding the right family that would want to buy it. We had no luck. After our contract
had expired with the last realtor, we decided to put our house up for sale by owner. We didn’t really know the
process and paperwork with selling our house, and we really didn’t have the time to thoroughly invest in
being available to show it on a moment’s notice, but we were hoping that we could eventually find the right
buyer and go from there. Again no luck with any offers. My wife was contacted by a realtor that she knew,
Phil Duke, and he asked if it would be possible that he list the house and wanted to schedule a meeting with
myself to go over his philosophy and what he could do for it. After meeting with Phil and listening to his
suggestions and observations with selling the house, we signed a contract with Phil to list the house. He was
upfront with what he considered a good asking price and what upgrades a buyer would tend to look for. This
was what we needed to hear. After one day of being placed on the market, we had an interested buyer take
a look at the house and make us an offer to buy! One day! We were thrilled. Phil looked out for us in the
selling process and made sure we were making the best decisions with every aspect of negotiations and
closing. After having our house for sale for over a year, we finally found the best realtor for us! We would
highly recommend Phil Duke with Realty Executives for anyone looking to sell or buy a home.”"